The Boda Boda Free Zone will run along the following boundaries; Wampewo Roundabout- Jinja Road to Kitgum House junction – Access Road – Mukwano Road to Clock Tower –Kafumbe Mukasa Road –Kisenyi Road –Mackay Road- Kyaggwe Road- Watoto Church-Bombo Road – Wandegeya – Hajji Musa Kasule Road- Mulago roundabout- Kamwokya junction – Sturrock Road – Prince Charles Drive- Lugogo Bypass–Jinja Road- Wampewo Roundabout.
As Boda Boda operators are eagerly waiting for the dawn to come tomorrow Monday July27 to hit back the road from nearly four month lockdown of not carrying passengers, Cabinet meeting has approved the Boda Boda free zone areas and gazzated Boda Stages with some places especially in urban cities restricted access.
Cabinet’s approval follow the directives by President Museveni to allow Boda Boda operators carry passengers and luggage in his last Tuesday address on COVID-19.
As per the directives, cabinet through ministry of works and transport and ministry of security set Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all the Boda Bodas operators nationwide.
In Kampala, all Boda Bodas in the KCCA areas MUST follow and comply with Cabinet Directives on the reforms to streamline and regulate the operations of motorcycles in the City and these include the following;
- All Boda Bodas must operate at gazetted Boda Boda stages. The list of these stages and maps can be obtained from KCCA website or Ward Administrators at every KCCA Division. Each gazetted stage has a unique reference code and this will be its name.
- All Boda Boda operators must be registered at any of the gazetted stages and this shall be their address to enable contact tracing in case of Covid19 infection. Boda Boda operators are free to register at any gazetted stage of their choice.
- All Boda Boda App companies and associations shall share the register of all their members (after registering every member to a gazetted stage).
- All Boda Bodas who do not operate or belong to the App Companies/associations shall register with KCCA through their stage leadership. Forms can be downloaded from KCCA website or picked from Ward Administrators at every KCCA Division.
- No Boda Boda operator shall pay any fees to anybody to register on any gazetted stage of choice. Anybody soliciting a bribe should be reported to the relevant authorities.
- Cabinet approved Boda Boda Free Zone where All Boda Bodas are prohibited from entering/accessing. The Boda Boda Free Zone will run along the following boundaries; Wampewo Roundabout- Jinja Road to Kitgum House junction – Access Road – Mukwano Road to Clock Tower –Kafumbe Mukasa Road –Kisenyi Road –Mackay Road- Kyaggwe Road- Watoto Church-Bombo Road – Wandegeya – Hajji Musa Kasule Road- Mulago roundabout- Kamwokya junction – Sturrock Road – Prince Charles Drive- Lugogo Bypass–Jinja Road- Wampewo Roundabout.
KCCA is procuring Boda Boda Stage Signs to mark the gazetted stages permanently and Traffic signs to demarcate the Boda Boda Free Zone as approved by Cabinet.All Boda Boda Operators must comply with all the directives and strictly follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as issued by Government.
Full list of gazetted stages can be obtained at KCCA website. www.kcca.go.ug/
Photo: Courtesy pix.