By Brendah Atukunda,
At least ten people in Panyamur village Pakwachi district in the West Nile sub-region have been confirmed dead after they consumed a suspected poisonous cassava.
According to the locals, the incident first happened to their animals when they started dying after eating this type of cassava, but they took it lightly until it also killed humans.
Samuel Lubega the Pakwach DPC says that the food type is eaten only when cooked but residents consumed raw tubers.
“This type of cassava can only be consumed if cooked, and the mistake they made was to eat it raw” he said
The deceased according to the residents showed similar symptoms before their death. The symptoms include Diarrhea, Headache and severe vomiting.
The incident comes at a time when the country is faced with acute famine and hunger especially in the Eastern parts of Karamoja, Lango and Teso sub-regions besides the drastic increase of prices of commodities including food.
President Museveni has on different occasions advised people to eat locally grown cassava commonly known as Muwogo if price for other commodities is expensive. However, its still unclear what residents are left to eat if the only option they had has turned more poisonous